Saturday, September 1, 2007

国油大学华乐团

Initially, I wanted to write this whole blog in Chinese.
But since there are quite a number of 'bananas' in our orchestra team, I might as well write it in English.
I just wanna share about my experience as a player in UTP Chinese Orchestra.
I have no basic in Chinese musical before, but I found myself quite talented since I join the CO team. (ceh.. bangganya... :P)
Anyway, thanks to Gary for giving me the opportunity to be one of the players, and was able to perform for UTP Symphony Fest and also in ConvoFair.
It is my great honor and pleasure to be part of the CO team.
Before I started to say something emo, I just wanna introduce a few important people in Chinese Orchestra team.

1st of all, of course, is our expert teacher, Mr. Goh Suk Liang.
We called him 'senior', since he doesn't want to admit that he's already quite old.
He is a professional, I can say. He plays Maksim's "Bumblebee" using 'Er Hu', imagine that... We were all shocked when he 1st played it in the class. It was awesome....
I always thought Chinese Orchestra only play traditional Chinese songs.
He had me changed my mind about it.
The one I circled in the picture up there is our teacher lah.
See his style of playing, a total professional look..


Next, there are our beloved 'Boss', Gary (left)
and 'Lady Boss', Shu Hui (right).
(I don't know how to interpret 'Lao Ban Niang' in English. Haha... cincai lah...)

They are the busiest 'couple' everytime whenever a performance comes up.
Remember last time during Symphony Fest and ConvoFair, they really had a hard time organizing everything.
Thanks to them, our performances can be said as very successful.
Sometimes they are a bit strict, but of course, it's for the good of all of us.

After that, it is time to introduce some of our players.
There is my 'Lao Da', Xi Yi. He's a talented flutist and drummer, and also a very funny person.
Seriously speaking, I enjoy fooling around with him.
And also Jia Min 'Jie', whom the others called 'Chang Ying' (which means lalat), because she is playing 'Er Hu', and it always make humming sound like the lalat's.
She is a very pretty senior, but sometimes when she gets very frustrated and tension, she can be very fierce also...

There is also our conductor-Henry Yew (he is quite good in Chinese actually, but still, he is a 'banana'.. =P); our 'Yang Qing' player-Xiao Qi 'Jie'; 'Pi Pa'-cute Edrea; our multitasker-Chong; percussion-Guo Lin and Chin; the flutists-Melissa, San Yin and Ong; the most dedicated double-bass player-Pui Wei Jui; another two 'Er Hu' players-Wen Pin and Tnay; Melvin Tan and also our young 'cello mei'-Xuan Hui. Below are some pictures of them:















































Last but not least, the THREE MUSKETEERS.
It is very cool name for a 'humsap' gang, although in Chinese we called it for a different meaning. :P

The leader of the gang, the 'humsap King', Jesse Oliver, is also initially from my hometown.
He is very talented in music, which I envy very much.
He can play different kinds of musical instruments, a multitasker I called him.
I still remember last Symphony Fest, he ran from this edge of the stage from Chinese Orchestra, to the other end of the hall to play in UTP Keronchong, and then ran back here again.
Our boss was so panic when he suddenly disappeared, and he also, ran a big round the hall to find him. That was so cute....
Jesse's so-to-be GF is also a very talented violinist, I guess that's why they are so 'sepadan' with each other. ^o^

The 2nd seat of the 'humsap' gang, William Wan, comes from Penang.
He's already 22 yrs old, but his face doesn't look a bit like 22 yrs old man.
In fact, sometimes I feel like I look older than him.
I always wonder, is he just plainly baby-face? Or is he still immature? Or maybe it is the side effect of being too 'humsap'??
He also can be very feminine sometimes...
I don't understand, how come a person can be 'humsap' but also feminine at the same time??
Hmmm... that'll take some time for me to discover it...

The 3rd person, of course is me lah... =P
Don't misunderstand, the reason that we are in the 'humsap' gang doesn't really means that we are very 'humsap', just that we like to have some "man-and-man" conversations...
I want to state once again, I am a good guy. ^^

Since I am not a very well-rounded person in my batch, the orchestra members are just like family members to me.
I enjoyed every second in Chinese Orchestra, and I never regretted all the time I had spent in practicing.
We eat together, practice together, share jokes together, laugh together.
I felt like somehow if the whole world turns against me, I still have this bunch of friends by my side, to accompany me and to guide me.
It is such a wonderful thing that I am in this big family.
I just don't know how to express that feeling, the feeling as if I have returned to my home.
I wish that UTP Chinese Orchestra will keep on growing in the years to come, and the family will become bigger and stronger in our bonding.
I love you all! Thank you very much!
May God bless UTP Chinese Orchestra and all its members for the years to come. ^~^

4 comments:

Henry Yew said...

Oi... You use my picture without permission, eh? I demand payment for that picture you put up in your blog. Hehe... Just joking...

And what banana? I know I'm not from Chinese school lar... Call me "half a banana" also can gua...

min said...

sorry sorry
i din realize i put wrong place
paiseh paiseh
ok
here it goes
i agreed v the fierce part la
of coz
duh....
anyway
CO getting more fun
i m waiting 2 see ur flute
next gary, k?

Anonymous said...

yucks.. where did u get dat personal photo of mine de..?? argh! stalker u..

btw 老板娘 is translated as 'Lady Boss'.. 'Mrs Boss', in contrast, with 'Boss' can cause u terrible trouble from 'those who are concerned'! muahaha~!

still i m very uncomfortable with dat photo of mine.. =S

Anonymous said...

btw, jz wana back henry a bit: he can speak mandarin quite well, and doesn't sound much like a banana anyway. and seriously i can see his improvement in mandarin. keep up, henry! XD

and i thk u wrote ur name as 'Moon (月亮)' last time right??!! and u r the one calling someone banana?? XD muahaha~!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails